Hiroshima and Nagasaki Bombings – level 1
In August 1945, the US drops two atomic bombs on Japan. The bombs destroy the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The US says that they want to end World War II fast. The US wants to save American people.
However, more than 190,000 people die in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Thousands of people die during the bombings. Thousands of people die later. The biggest problem is radiation. Radiation is the energy that comes from the atomic bombs. It is very dangerous for living things.
75 years after the bombing, many people still have mental problems. They remember the terrible event. However, the biggest problem is cancer. Many people who experience the bombings have cancer today.
US and Japanese scientists work together. They study radiation. They make safe radiation limits for hospitals and space missions.
Difficult words: atomic bomb (a very powerful bomb that kills many people and it destroys lot of land), bombing (when a bomb blows up a place), mental (connected to the mind and your thoughts), cancer (a dangerous disease when some parts in a body start to grow without control).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.