Hockey player dies during a match – level 2
A tragic accident happened during an ice hockey game between Sheffield Steelers and Nottingham Panthers. Adam Johnson, a player for Nottingham Panthers, had his throat accidentally cut by an opponent’s skate blade.
Paramedics tried to save the man’s life directly on the ice, but sadly, he didn’t survive. Matt Petgrave, who was involved in the accident, was very upset by what happened. Johnson’s girlfriend Ryan Wolfe posted a heartbreaking message on Instagram to express her love and pain. The hockey community is very sad. Johnson had a successful career. He played for teams like the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Nottingham Panthers.
After the incident, some people call for professional players to wear neck guards. Currently, only players under 20 must wear them.
Difficult words: skate blade (the sharp part of a skate which makes it possible to move on the ice), paramedic (a person trained to give emergency medical care outside a hospital), neck guard (a piece of equipment which a player wears around the neck).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are people's opinions regarding the necessity of neck guards for professional ice hockey players?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.