Hockey player dies during a match – level 3
In a tragic incident during an ice hockey match, Nottingham Panthers player Adam Johnson lost his life when an opponent’s skate blade accidentally cut his throat.
Despite immediate medical attention, including CPR performed on the ice, Johnson could not be saved. His girlfriend, Ryan Wolfe, paid a heartfelt tribute to him, expressing her love and grief on Instagram.
Supporters rallied around the distraught opponent, Matt Petgrave, who was involved in the accident. The incident has prompted calls for professional players to wear neck guards, which are currently mandatory only for players under 20.
The ice hockey community mourns the loss of Johnson, who had an impressive career in the sport, playing for various teams, including the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Nottingham Panthers. His untimely death has shaken the hockey world, and games across the league were postponed in his memory.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What safety measures do you think should be in place to prevent similar tragedies in sport?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.