Hong Kong Cancels Special Event – level 2
In 1989, students protested at the Tiananmen Square in Beijing, China. The protests lasted almost three weeks; however, soldiers stopped them. Soldiers and tanks shot at protesters, and several thousand people died.
Every year, people in Beijing remember this horrible event. People light candles at the square and pray for the people who died. However, Hong Kong police canceled this year’s event. The police said that the reason was the coronavirus.
However, some people believe that the reason is different. Last week, the Chinese government approved a new law. This law gives the government more power to stop activities that can remove the Chinese government in Hong Kong. Some people think that the police wanted to stop possible protests against the law.
Difficult words: tank (a heavy military vehicle), pray (to speak to God), approve (to officially agree with something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos