Hotel Falls Down – level 2
Last week, a hotel in Quanzhou, China, collapsed. Officials used this hotel as a quarantine facility.
It was a five-story building, and people stayed there who were in contact with people with coronavirus. When the hotel collapsed, there were 71 people inside. At least 26 of them died and many people ended up in hospital.
Firefighters rescued a man who was under the rubble for 69 hours. They were searching the rubble when they heard knocking. Firefighters dug a tunnel and located the man. The 24-year-old man is in hospital now and he is in stable condition.
Difficult words: quarantine facility (a place where people stay and they do not have contact with other people), locate (to know the exact place where something is), stable condition (when a patient’s health is not getting worse).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos