Hoverbikes For American Soldiers – level 3
British developers are working with American engineers to create a prototype hoverbike for the American Department of Defence.
The aircraft would replace many of the jobs a helicopter is currently used for, with the advantages being safety, price and running costs. It also has on-board sensors and autopilot features, which allow the hoverbike to act like a drone.
The US Department of Defence is interested in hoverbike technology because of its versatility – a hoverbike can be used to transport supplies, fly unmanned and operate as a surveillance platform. The American army will now develop it to use in search-and-rescue operations, medical emergency situations and to place cargo into confined spaces.
Difficult words: developer (a person who develops/creates something), prototype (the first version of something),versatility (the ability to be multifunctional), surveillance platform (something which can be used for watching people), confined (small or closed-in).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this technology?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.