How to beat roulette – level 2
Roulette is known as a game of chance, but it is not as random as you think. When you measure the ball’s speed and the rotor, it is possible to predict where the ball will land.
For years, mathematicians and physicists tried to come up with systems to beat the casinos. But the game changed when Niko Tosa, a Croatian man, and his two companions found a winning strategy. In 2014, they walked into a London casino with a small amount of money and left with 1.3 million pounds. Casinos had to redesign their equipment to make it harder to predict where the ball will land. The landing pockets are smoother and shallower, which means that the ball bounces more.
During the pandemic, online gambling became very popular. Gamblers use software to track the ball and rotors. To protect their profits, casinos are now using advanced technology to make the game more difficult to predict.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What sorts of technological advancements are casinos using to combat the problem of predicting where the ball will land?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.