Hurricane Fiona hits Puerto Rico – level 1
On Sunday, Hurricane Fiona hits Puerto Rico. All the country is without electricity.
In 2017, Hurricane Maria destroys the country’s power grid. The blackout is the biggest one in US history. Since that time, the power grid is not good in Puerto Rico.
Hurricane Fiona is very strong. The winds are over 135 kmph. Heavy rains and landslides happen. People prepare better for Fiona. They buy power generators. These machines make electricity.
Experts say that Fiona will hit the Dominican Republic. Heavy rains and landslides can happen, too.
Difficult words: power grid (wires which get electricity to buildings and homes), blackout (a time when a town or area is without electricity), landslide (when a hill or a rock slides, usually after a heavy rain).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.