Hurricane Harvey – level 2
In the US, the strongest storm in 12 years is coming to Texas. Scientists named the storm Hurricane Harvey, and it could grow to be a Category 3 hurricane, which means that its winds could reach 210 kilometres/hour.
Along the ocean, the government gave mandatory evacuation orders and inland, people reinforced their homes. A sheriff warned people that they needed to follow the orders and that he would not send boats to help them if they stayed.
Once the hurricane hits land, there could be many days of rain.
Difficult words: mandatory (you must do something mandatory), inland (away from the ocean), reinforce (make protections, make stronger).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos