Iceberg Breaks – level 2
Ten years ago, scientists discovered cracks on the Brunt Ice Shelf in Antarctica.
Since that time, they used satellites and GPS to watch the area. They saw many new cracks and chasms and it was clear that the shelf would break. Some parts of the shelf started to move, and they moved about 5 meters per day. Two weeks ago, a big iceberg finally broke free from the ice shelf. The iceberg was 150 meters thick, and it measured about 1,270 square kilometers.
It is not possible to explore some parts of Antarctica because winters are very long and dark. Scientists use modern technologies and they help them watch places which they could not visit themselves.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.