India bridge collapse – level 1
A bridge collapses in India. It is a pedestrian bridge. A pedestrian bridge is for people to walk. This bridge is above a river.
People celebrate the Diwali festival. Too many people are on the bridge. The bridge starts to move from side to side. Suddenly, it falls.
141 people die. Many people go missing. Some people swim to the river banks.
Rescuers search the waters. It is not easy. The river is dark and dirty. Police investigate the event. They speak to eight people.
In the 19th century, workers build the bridge. It is a popular place for tourists. People like the bridge. It moves when they walk on it.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.