India lands on the Moon – level 2
India achieved a successful soft landing on the Moon’s southern pole with its Chandrayaan-3 mission.
This achievement places India among a group of only a few countries did something like this, including the US, the former Soviet Union, and China. The Vikram lander from India’s space agency ISRO landed as planned at 18:04 local time. The nation celebrated, and Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his pride. Officials said that this success was the result of the hard work of generations of scientists.
The rover named Pragyaan will explore the Moon’s surface and do scientific studies. Scientists want to get important data and images, especially about water-based ice. This is important for possible habitation by people and for the next space missions.
Difficult words: achievement (doing something successfully with hard work and skills), pride (feeling very happy and satisfied because someone did something good), habitation (the activity of living somewhere).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What results do scientists expect to gain from the Pragyaan rover's exploration of the Moon's surface?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.