India opens Hindu temple – level 2
India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently inaugurated a new Hindu temple in Ayodhya. The temple replaced a mosque demolished 30 years ago.
The ceremony was full of rituals and offerings, and many people came to see it. Many consider it an important religious moment. It symbolizes Lord Ram’s return for them. But critics say that Modi planned the event carefully because of the upcoming elections. Workers should complete the temple next year. Historical disputes over Ayodhya started over a century ago, and they escalated in 1992 with the mosque’s destruction. The top court said that it was illegal in 2019 but awarded the land to Hindus. The event brings many emotions, some people celebrate but for others, it brings back bad memories.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think the recent inauguration of a new Hindu temple in Ayodhya symbolizes an important religious moment or was it strategically planned by Prime Minister Modi for upcoming elections?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.