India’s luxury fashion industry – level 1
In luxury fashion, India helps European fashion houses make clothes.
India is good at making clothes. But companies do not speak much about the situation in Indian factories. Children often work there. Workers get only a little money. Big brands say ‘Made in France’ or ‘Made in Italy’ on clothes. But they really make them in India. This is not fair and transparent.
One special jacket costs 43,000 Euros. India does 2,000 hours of work on it. Europe does only 100 hours. But the label says ‘Made in France’ which is not really true.
Some brands are starting to say that they use India, but it is not easy in the fashion world.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What steps could fashion brands take to be more transparent about where their clothing is actually made?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.