Internet in Kashmir – level 2
In August 2019, India’s government cancelled Kashmir’s special rights. Kashmir was the only state with the Muslim majority in India. In Kashmir, there were many protests against India.
India wanted to calm the situation down and it stopped the Internet in Kashmir. Some people used private networks to avoid the Internet blackout.
On Wednesday, Indian authorities made the Internet work again. They say that the Internet will work until March 17. It is a step to a better situation in Kashmir.
India annexed Kashmir to help the economy. However, Kashmir’s officials say that India’s rules already cost more than $2.4 billion dollars.
Difficult words: avoid (to keep away from something), blackout (a time when there is no service available, usually electricity), annex (to take an area by force).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos