Iran and US Prisoners – level 2
In August 2016, Iranian authorities arrested Xiyue Wang, a student at Princeton University. They said that Wang was a spy and put him in prison for 10 years.
Wang was in prison for more than three years, and on Saturday, Iran freed him. Iran and the US swapped Wang for an Iranian Scientist who had a trial in the US.
The US president thanked Swiss authorities who helped with the swap. He also said that he hopes to bring home all US people who are in prisons abroad.
Iran keeps more people from the US and other countries in its prisons, and this swap of prisoners can mean that Iran can free more prisoners in the future.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.