Iran-US prisoner swap – level 2
Iran and the United States will exchange prisoners soon, and they will also move $6 billion to banks in Qatar.
First, Iran released four US citizens from prison on August 10. The US Secretary of State said that this was the start of a process to send them home. The people released include 51-year-old Siamak Namazi, 59-year-old Emad Sharqi, and Morad Tahbaz who is 67. Tahbaz also has British citizenship. The US didn’t say who the other two people were.
Qatar helped Iran and the US talk and made the swap happen. Qatar will also make sure that Iran spends the money the right way. When Qatar receives the money, it will tell Iran and the US to release the prisoners.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the role of Qatar in the prisoner exchange between Iran and the United States?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.