Iranian women remove hijabs – level 3
Over the death of an Iranian woman in police custody, women removed their hijabs in protests.
Iran’s morality police arrested 22-year-old Mahsa Amini for allegedly having some of her hair visible beneath her hijab. She fell into a coma at the police station, and she died three days later. Many people blamed police brutality for the head injuries that killed her.
Under the Iranian interpretation of Sharia law, women must cover their hair with a hijab and wear long loose-fitting clothes to disguise their figures. The 1979 revolution instated these rules, and they met with little resistance.
As a result, Iranian police force isn’t used to dissent. However, many women of Iran’s traditionally conservative population removed their hijabs. Human rights groups estimate that as many as 31 people died so far in the violent protests.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.