Is There Life on Venus? – level 1
Scientists study the atmosphere of Venus. They use telescopes in Hawaii and Chile. They believe that a special gas is in the atmosphere of Venus. A gas is a thing which we sometimes cannot see that can be in the air.
The gas is called phosphine. On Earth, we usually find it in volcanoes. It is in places without oxygen. Scientists are not sure why phosphine is on Venus. However, living things make this gas on Earth. Scientists think that life could be on Venus. It is a very exciting idea. Another idea is that there are examples of chemistry that they do not know about there.
The US Space Agency, NASA, wants to send robots to Venus. The latest discovery can be a big change for NASA. NASA will maybe decide to study Venus faster.
Difficult words: atmosphere (the gases around a planet), oxygen (the gas that we breathe), chemistry (the study of chemicals).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos