Islands in South China Sea – level 2
There is a dispute over 70 islands in the South China Sea. Countries in South East Asia dispute over who controls the land. China, Malaysia, Taiwan, Vietnam and the Philippines dispute seventy pieces of land.
In 2016, an international court said that China had no right to a lot of the area which it claimed. However, nothing happened because the court cannot make China do anything.
The Philippines has a complicated relationship with China. Things got a little better when Rodrigo Duterte became president of the Philippines.
However, there may be problems between the countries because of one island. Its name is Thitu and it belongs to the Philippines. China claims this island, also.
Almost 300 Chinese ships were around the island in recent months, and Duterte spoke about the situation. He said that he would tell the Philippine army to get ready.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.