Italy and Russian gas – level 2
Before the invasion of Ukraine, Italy imported 40% of its natural gas from Russia. Now, the country imports less than 10% of gas from Russia.
But the country is already preparing for next winter, and at the same time, it wants to be completely independent of Russia. Last week, the first regasification ship arrived in the city of Piombino. This ship transports and stores gas which is made liquid. It then changes the liquefied gas into a gas again. Officials believe that this ship will help get enough gas to Italy next winter.
Some local people don’t agree with the project. They say that it will have a bad impact on life in the city, on fishing and tourism.
Difficult words: import (to bring things from abroad to sell), independent (when a person or thing doesn’t depend on anyone or anything else), liquefied (made liquid).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What advantages and disadvantages does the regasification ship bring to Italian cities like Piombino?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos