Italy and Russian gas – level 3
Europe’s winter has come to an end; however, some countries are already preparing for the next year.
Italy took a key step toward securing energy independence from Russia. The first regasification vessel arrived in the city of Piombino on the western coast of Italy last week. It’s considered crucial to secure the energy supply and to reach Italy’s energy independence from Russia.
Before the invasion of Ukraine, 40% of Italy’s imported gas came from Russia. Now, Russian gas accounts for less than 10%. Without the ship that will import liquefied natural gas, the next winter could be challenging.
However, local activists have staged protests, citing its potential impact on the city, fishing, and tourism. For officials, it’s essential to find a common ground between industry and citizens to ensure energy supply and survival.
Difficult words: regasification vessel (a ship that transports, stores and changes liquefied gas into gas onboard), liquefied (made liquid), common ground (shared interests or opinions).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures have the Italian government taken to ensure a balance between industry and citizens when it comes to energy supply and survival?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos