Italy Politician in Court – level 1
Matteo Salvini is a politician in Italy. In the past, he is the leader of a political party. In the south of Europe, there is a big problem with African migrants. Many ships with migrants come. The ships want to stop in Italy.
Salvini does not want migrants to come to Italy. He stops many ships.
There is a ship with 131 migrants. The ship waits on the sea. Italy does not let the ship stop in Sicily. Sicily is part of Italy.
After 7 days, the ship comes to Spain. Spain takes the migrants.
This week, the Italian government takes Salvini’s political immunity. The court says that migrants must have freedom. Now, the court must decide if Salvini does something bad. Salvini can go to prison for 15 years. Salvini says that he is not a criminal. He says that Italy must protect its borders.
Difficult words: migrant (a person who comes to another country to live a better life), immunity (when a political person cannot get in trouble), freedom (when people are free to do, say, and think what they want).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.