Italy Train Accident – level 2
There was a train accident in northern Italy. The train traveled at 180 mph when the first car on the train left the rails and separated from the train. It hit a nearby railroad building, killed two railway workers, and injured 27 people.
Police say that there was some work on the railway the evening before; however, work on railways happens very often. Police must investigate the accident because they do not know if the work caused the accident.
Rail workers’ unions want to go on strike on Friday. They say that the accident is very serious and not acceptable.
Difficult words: rails (two steel bars that trains travel on), union (an official group of workers in a company who fight for better workers’ situation and salary), strike (a protest).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos