Italy wins the UEFA European Championship – level 3
England’s bid to end their 55-year wait for a major trophy ended in the familiar agony of defeat in a penalty shootout as Italy claimed the Euro 2020 crown at Wembley, UK.
England looked on course for their most joyous day when Luke Shaw gave them the perfect start after just two minutes. Italy, unbeaten in 33 matches before the final, slowly edged their way back into the game, and they were level in the 67th minute when Leonardo Bonucci scored. After a tense period of extra time, it was on to penalties. England missed three of their five penalties; however, three players scored for Italy.
Italy has won their first European Championship title in 53 years, which is the longest gap between championships in the tournament by a single nation. At 3 years and 71 days, Italy’s Leonardo Bonucci became the oldest player ever to score in a European Championship final.
Difficult words: agony (extreme physical or mental suffering), shootout (a shooting competition that is used to determine the winner of a game which is tied at the end of regular play), on course (to go towards something), edge (to move gradually in a particular direction).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.