Japanese city wants more tourists – level 2
Kyoto was Japan’s capital for more than one thousand years. It changed in the 19th century when Tokyo became the capital, but Kyoto stayed one of the most important Japanese cities.
Millions of tourists visited Kyoto every year to see its old temples and gardens and to taste its food. In 2019, 50 million visitors came to the city; its population was 1.45 million. The city was full of tourists, and local people complained about too many cars and too many visitors. Also, the visitors often didn’t follow rules and Japanese etiquette.
In 2019, the pandemic came, and the city became very quiet. Local businesses struggled, and after Japan opened to tourists again, only about 10% to 30% of people came. Local people wish that more tourists visit again with money.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.