Japanese Emperors – level 3
Japan’s Emperor Akihito formally abdicated last Tuesday, becoming the first Japanese monarch to step down in centuries. His son, Crown Prince Naruhito, took over as the country’s 126th emperor the following day.
The former emperor’s title is now Emperor Emeritus – which means former emperor with honours. At the abdication ceremony on Tuesday, Akihito said that he considers himself ‘most fortunate’ to have been able to complete the duties of emperor with a ‘deep sense of trust and respect for the people’. He also wished his son’s era to be ‘a stable and fruitful one’.
Japanese Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe, attended the ceremony, and the US President, Donald Trump, will be the first foreign leader to meet with Japan’s new emperor on a scheduled trip on May 25th.
Difficult words: abdicate (step down), former (ex-), fruitful (good, productive).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos