Johny Depp in court – level 3
American actor Johny Depp testified in his 50-million-dollar defamation trial; it was against his ex-wife Amber Heard and he said he never struck her.
The lawsuit’s over an opinion article Heard wrote for the Washington Post six years ago; she called herself a victim of domestic violence. Depp denies any abuse; however, Heard’s lawyers presented Depp as abusive and on drug and alcohol binges. Depp’s lawyers presented the domestic violence as a hoax to ruin Depp’s reputation.
In a Virginia courtroom, Depp said that it was a complete shock when Heard said that he was violent. The actor also described how people’s attitudes towards him changed after the newspaper published Heard’s op-ed.
Difficult words: defamation (an action to damage someone’s good reputation), binge (a time of excessive eating, drinking, or taking drugs), op-ed (a newspaper article that expresses a personal opinion).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.