Journalism and Protests – level 1
Russia is not safe for journalists. Between 1992 and 2019, 58 reporters are killed in Russia. Ivan Golunov is a Russian reporter. People know him because he shows corruption in Moscow.
Golunov is not killed but police arrest him. Police say that they find drugs. Golunov’s supporters say that the drugs are not his. They say that the police put the drugs in his things. Some people in Moscow start to protest.
Police let Golunov go. He is free. He is not in any trouble. However, people are still protesting. The Kremlin gets involved. Three police generals lose their jobs.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.