Journalist Has Problems – level 3
Filipino American journalist, Maria Ressa, has been found guilty of cyberlibel, and she could spend up to 6 years in prison.
Ressa grew up in the US, and she studied at an American university. She was honored as Time’s 2018 Person of the Year for her reporting work. She founded a news site, which has been very critical of the Philippines president’s brutal war on drugs.
Ressa and another reporter were charged with violating a new libel law in an article that linked a high-profile businessman to a murder, trafficking, and drug smuggling. However, the law was created after the article was published. Human rights groups and reporting organizations have condemned the charges, and they called them an attack on the free press.
Difficult words: cyberlibel (a published false statement on the Internet that damages a person’s reputation), libel (a false statement that damages a person’s reputation), traffic (to send illegal things or people to other places), condemn (to criticize strongly).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.