Killer’s Message – level 3
The Australian mathematician, Samuel Blake, and two other cryptologists finally solved an encrypted message written by an unnamed serial killer 51 years ago.
The three men tried several hundred thousand incorrect ways of solving the cipher, and just by chance, they found a way that it could be solved. In the end, they got the entire message out from the Zodiac Killer; however, solving the cipher did not reveal the killer’s identity, and it did not give a lot of clues as to who he might be.
The Zodiac Killer is the pseudonym of an American serial killer who operated in Northern California in the 1960s and 1970s. The killer sent a series of letters and cards, including four ciphers, to San Francisco newspapers. He claimed to have committed 37 murders; however, investigators agreed on only seven victims, two of whom survived.
Difficult words: cryptologist (an expert in the study of secret systems of words or numbers), encrypted (a piece of information that is written in a special code so that only certain people can read it), cipher (a secret way of writing), pseudonym (a name which someone uses instead of his real name).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos