Korean Movie Wins Best Oscar – level 2
On Sunday, the South Korean movie “Parasite” won the Oscar for best picture. It became the first non-English language movie to win the highest prize.
It also was the first movie from South Korea to get a nomination at the Oscars. “Parasite” also won awards at the Cannes Film Festival, the Screen Actors Guild, and the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
Director Bong Joon-ho said that the movie is “a continuation of all the Korean films that came before.” The movie is about a poor family who wants to become rich.
Difficult words: best picture (the best movie; people call it “picture” because movies are made up of pictures that move), nomination (a situation when someone or something can win an award), continuation (a situation when something keeps going).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.