La Palma disaster – level 2
On September 19, Cumbre Vieja, a volcano on the Spanish island of La Palma in the Canary Islands, became active.
Thousands of tons of lava destroyed houses on the western side of the island, where live more than 85,000 people. Authorities closed the airport because the eruptions got bigger and more dangerous.
A Spanish photographer captured a photo of a house on a small piece of land which looked like an island in a lava river. It was the only house in the area which was not destroyed.
Authorities said that nobody died, and nobody was hurt. They asked people not to come close to the volcano, but many people came anyway because they wanted to see the lava.
Difficult words: lava (hot liquid rock which comes out from a volcano), eruption (the moment when hot rock, stones and smoke come out from a volcano), capture (to take a picture or video of something happening).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.