La Palma volcano – level 2
Journalists got a chance to look closely at Spain’s La Palma volcano.
A team of scientists took the journalists to a place where people usually could not go. Gas and smoke still came from the craters, and officials closed this area to the public. Scientists measured gas emissions and temperatures. They said that the temperature inside the craters could be 840 degrees Celsius, and it could stay this high for many years.
The eruption on the volcano began on September 19, 2021, and it lasted three months. Rivers of lava destroyed more than 1,000 homes, and 7,000 people had to leave. The whole area changed, and instead of green hills, people could see big dark craters. The hardest thing for many people was to accept that now they lived near an active volcano.
Difficult words: crater (a large hole in a volcano), gas emission (when gas is going into the air), active volcano (a volcano which erupted not long ago, and it is possible that it will happen again in the future).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.