La Palma volcano – level 3
A Reuters crew got rare access inside Spain’s La Palma’s volcano with a team of volcanologists.
Journalists went inside one of the six craters to measure gasses and temperatures. One of the scientists said that when he entered the area, the dimensions surprised him because the craters were huge. There were many craters, and gases continued to be very visually impressive, even from kilometers away. Temperatures inside the craters were around 840 degrees Celsius, and scientists said that the extremely high temperatures could continue for years.
The volcanic eruption in La Palma was the worst in Europe in 80 years, and the area close to the craters remains closed to the public. For local people, the area has been noticeably transformed forever because a huge volcanic cone replaced green hills. People are trying to accept the new reality of living near an active volcano.
Difficult words: volcanologist (a scientist who studies the formation and activity of volcanoes), crater (a large hole in a volcano), dimension (the length, width, or height of something), cone (a triangular mountain from a volcano).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.