LGBT Groups Take Up Weapons – level 3
The burning of rainbow flags after the election of Donald Trump in the USA and attacks on people at a rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, have moved some LGBT groups to take up arms.
People formed the Trigger Warning Queer and Trans Gun Club in reaction to the rise of the extreme right. Trigger Warning members say that the group is about empowerment, self-defence, and supporting the community.
One woman said that the groups are ‘acknowledging our fear of a world in which conservatives are the only ones who are armed’. A man said that people think of queer people as weak and defenceless, and this movement pushes back against that idea.
Some activists are wary of creating gun clubs, though. A director of a LGBT group said that arms races cause ‘harm and hurt can come when so many people have arms and weapons’.
Difficult words: rainbow flag (a flag that shows support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transsexual people), arms (weapons), empowerment (becoming a strong individual), queer (another word to identify a person as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transsexual), wary (think that something can be dangerous).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.