LGBTQ TV Characters – level 1
There is an organization which watches how many characters with different sexual orientation there are in TV shows. In the organization’s last report, it says that 10% of all characters are not heterosexual.
This is the highest number in history. Also, most characters are gay men. In the real world, there are many people with something other than gay orientation. TV shows must become more attractive for viewers. They must show the real world and culture.
The organization wants changes by 2025. It hopes that the number of characters with different sexual orientation is 20% of all characters in TV shows.
Difficult words: character (a person in a book, film or TV show), orientation (how you feel about something), heterosexual (a person who likes the people of the opposite sex), gay (a man who likes other men and finds them attractive).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos