Lights in the Sky – level 1
People in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington, US, see something unusual in the sky at night. People see bright lights. The lights move quickly.
Scientists do not think that the lights are a plane or a meteor. They soon know the truth. A SpaceX rocket takes off from Florida US on March 4. The plan is that the rocket will go to space and stay there.
Then a mistake happens. The rocket returns. It starts to burn in the earth’s atmosphere. People see the lights. Scientists do not know if some pieces of the rocket fall to the ground.
People from this part of the US do not usually see rockets in the sky. They are very surprised. They share pictures on the Internet.
Difficult words: meteor (a piece of rock which travels in space and it falls to the Earth’s ground), return (to come back), atmosphere (the gasses around a planet).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos