Love for pumpkin spice – level 2
Many people love pumpkin spice because it gives them warm cozy feelings. They love to drink to welcome the fall when the hot summer ends. Pumpkin spice has many spices, including cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, and its smell is very popular.
In the 1990s, Starbucks created with the first pumpkin spice latte, and millions of people loved it. Since that time, Starbucks sold more than 420 million cups of pumpkin spice latte in the US, and the company offers it to customers in the fall and winter.
The history of pumpkin spice is much older than the 1990s. Hundreds of years ago, American settlers used the same spices to preserve meat, fruit, and vegetables for the winter months. In 1976, author Amelia Simmons wrote a pumpkin spice recipe which she put in the first American cookbook.
Difficult words: cozy (something that makes you feel warm and relaxed), settler (a person who moves to survive and live in a new country or area), preserve (to keep food fresh).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos