Lucky landing in Brazil – level 3
It was a lucky escape for the crew and passengers on this jet, as it managed to make an emergency landing in Brasilia on Friday after its front landing gear failed to deploy.
None of the 49 passengers or crew of 5 on the Avianca Brazil Fokker 100 jet were injured in the landing, as the pilot managed to land the plane on its rear wheels before lowering the nose onto the runway.
The pilot had declared the emergency after spotting the fault and then circled the Brazilian capital to shed fuel and reduce the weight of the jet before attempting the landing.
After the plane successfully touched down, airport fire crews sprayed it with foam to prevent it from setting alight.
Because of the incident one of Brasilia airport’s runways was closed, delaying a number of flights into Brazil’s fourth largest airport.
Difficult words: landing gear (wheels), deploy (function), rear (at the back), spot (see), shed (to throw something away), alight (on fire).
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.