Madeleine Albright dies – level 3
Madeleine Albright, former US Secretary of State, died last week at the age of 84. Albright fled the Nazis as a child from Czechoslovakia during World War II, and she then became the first female US Secretary of State.
She was America’s top diplomat during the Clinton government until 2001. In her late years, she became an icon to young women for opportunity and respect in the workplace.
She was a tough-talking diplomat in a government that hesitated to involve itself in the two biggest foreign crises of the 1990s: the genocides in Rwanda and Bosnia-Herzegovina. In 2000, she traveled to Pyongyang to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong-il, which made her the highest-ranking US official to visit the Communist country. Just a month ago, Albright returned to the public spotlight, to speak against at Russian President Vladimir Putin, whom she met after he took office in 2000.
Difficult words: Secretary of State (the head of the government department that deals with foreign matters), genocide (the killing of people from a certain country or ethnic group), spotlight (attention).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.