Magna Carta Crime – level 2
Magna Carta is one of the most important legal manuscripts in the world. King John of England signed it in 1215 AD. It enshrined the power of law – the fact that no one is above the law, not even kings or queens.
There are only four copies of the Magna Carta left, and one of them is in Salisbury Cathedral in southern England. Alarms activated when a man broke the glass box with the document.
Police arrested the 45-year-old man who probably tried to steal this manuscript. Luckily, the document was undamaged.
Difficult words: legal (relating to the law), manuscript (a handwritten document), enshrine (preserve in a form that will be protected and respected).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos