Mall on Fire in Russia – level 2
A mall in the Siberian city of Kemerovo caught fire last Sunday. The cause of the fire was identified as a short circuit.
Sixty-four people died in this fire, as it was the first weekend of school break and the mall was full of families with children. Forty-one of the victims were children. So many people died because of fire safety shortcomings – the emergency exits were locked and the fire alarm was switched off.
Putin visited the city and said that this was terrible and criminal, and that the guilty ones would be punished. Police later arrested people from the firm that owns the shopping mall.
Thousands of people protested at the offices of the local government, and they were angry that so many people died because of bad fire safety. Under heavy public criticism, the governor of the Kemerovo region stepped down.
Difficult words: short circuit (when something goes wrong and an electric machine catches fire), victim (a person who dies in an accident), shortcomings (not meeting a certain standard).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos