Many shootings in the US – level 1
Many mass shootings happen in the US. A mass shooting is when one or more attackers have a gun or guns. They kill or hurt at least four people with the guns.
Two weeks ago, 13 mass shootings happen in the US in one weekend. The shootings happen in different states. On that weekend, nearly 300 other shootings happen in the country. The news don’t inform about some of the shootings. They happen too often.
People want politicians to do something with the situation. In some states, politicians want to give guns to teachers. Teachers will get training. They will learn what to do if a mass shooting happens in their school.
Difficult words: mass (to happen to many people or things), inform (to tell someone about something), training (when a person learns something so he can do a job or activity).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos