Many shootings in the US – level 3
Typically, gun violence in the US surges in summer; however, after massacres in Texas, New York, and Oklahoma, city leaders in all of the country say that federal action is required.
In the last two weeks, 13 mass shootings happened in cities across the US, with at least 17 people dead and dozens wounded.
A research group describes a mass shooting as an incident with a minimum of four victims shot and wounded or killed, but excluding any shooter. However, that research group tracked nearly 300 shootings nationwide in one weekend. Just in Chicago, 33 people were shot and six of them killed. However, shootings are so frequent there that they aren’t big news.
America has witnessed over 246 mass shootings this year, and this year is turning into one of the deadliest in history. Some states plan to arm teachers at schools to protect students, and these teachers will be trained to respond quickly in the case of a mass shooting.
Difficult words: surge (to increase suddenly), massacre (the murder of a lot of people deliberately), arm (to provide someone with a weapon).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos