Maple syrup and weather – level 1
Maple syrup is a sweet syrup from the sap of maples. Sap is a liquid in a plant or tree.
Canada and the United States are the main producers of maple syrup. Quebec, Canada, is the largest producer of maple syrup in the world. In the past 10 years, Canada makes twice as much maple syrup as before. The reason is the weather. Winters are milder. Maples produce more sap. But when temperatures are low, the sap is sweeter. It is easier to make maple syrup from it.
The situation is worse in the US. It is not possible to get sap in some areas. If the weather gets even warmer, some producers will stop their business.
Difficult words: maple (a large tree that grows in northern areas of the world), liquid (a substance that flows), mild (not strong).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the reason for the change in production in Canada and the US?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos