Maple syrup and weather – level 2
Quebec, Canada, is the world’s largest producer of maple syrup. Demand for maple syrup is higher than ever before, but changing weather brings new challenges.
When temperatures are low, tree sap is sweet and it is easier to make maple syrup from it. But winters are getting milder and the sap starts flowing earlier than usual. Maple groves in Canada produce twice as much maple syrup as they did ten years ago, and it is great news for syrup-making companies.
In the US, the situation is much worse. Warmer winters mean that there are fewer areas where it is possible to get tree sap.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think will happen to the price of maple syrup in the future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.