Marijuana in Thailand – level 2
Marijuana is gaining popularity around the world, and Thailand became the first south east Asian country to legalise it.
Beginning with the new year, people will be able to use it as a medicine or study it. However, licenses to produce and sell marijuana products will be strictly controlled. People will be able to carry certain amounts of the drugs if they have a prescription or certificate. The new law also allows kratom, which is a plant native to the region. People use it to treat pain, anxiety and other problems.
Difficult words: gain (get), legalise (make legal, you can buy/do legal things and must do buy/do illegal things), anxiety (a medical problem when you are extremely nervous and have panic attacks).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos