Mars helicopter – level 2
NASA’s Perseverance rover landed on Mars on February 18, 2021. It carried a helicopter that was at the bottom of the rover. A special metal cover kept the helicopter safe during the landing.
Currently, the rover is on its way to a place where the helicopter will try to fly for the first time. Nothing that people ever made has flown on another planet before.
It was not easy to make an aircraft that could fly on Mars. Mars has different gravity and atmosphere, too. It means that the helicopter must be very small and light. Also, it gets very cold on Mars at night, and both the rover and the helicopter must have special heating. It protects electrical parts from freezing and breaking.
On April 8, the helicopter will make the first attempt to fly. If it is successful, it can change the way that people explore Mars.
Difficult words: rover (a special car that travels on the moon or Mars), attempt (when somebody tries to do something), explore (to travel around a place and learn about it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos