Meghan Wins – level 3
Meghan Markle won 630,000 dollars as a provisional payment towards her legal costs after she won a privacy claim against the Mail on Sunday paper. The paper printed extracts of a letter that Markle wrote to her father.
The 39-year-old Duchess of Sussex sent the handwritten letter to her father, Thomas Markle, in August 2018, following her marriage to Prince Harry. The wedding took place in May that year; however, Mr. Markle didn’t attend it. Extracts from the letter appeared in a double page spread in the paper and, according to a High Court judge, the publication of the letter was manifestly excessive and unlawful.
The duchess is speaking of 2 million dollars in legal fees with half the amount to be paid within fourteen days; however, the paper has described the sum as disproportionate.
Difficult words: provisional (temporary and possible to change later), manifestly (very obviously), disproportionate (surprising and unreasonable in amount or size).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos